What are some ways to sanitize drinking water?
There are a number of ways in which you can make your water safe to keep your family healthy. Remember that clean drinking water is important for your health and by practicing these simple ways to ensure you have clean drinking water, you can improve your well being. Here are some easy tips to make sure your water is safe:
- Use water purification tablets: There are a variety of types of water purification tablets. These tablets, when dissolved in water, help eliminate harmful bacteria and viruses, help eliminate Giardia, and help remove sediment from the water.
- Boil water to kill bacteria: Most claim that boiling your water is the most effective method to sanitize water. If the water is boiling, it is recommended to let it boil rapidly for one minute longer, especially if you are in a high altitude location.
- Use water filters to sanitize water: Water filters can also help clean harmful bacteria and parasites from the water. Keep in minds that that not all water filters remove Giardia, so it is important to find the one that does. Filters that remove Giardia would be labeled with any one of the following:
- Reverse osmosis
- Absolute pore size of 1 micron or smaller
- Tested and certified by NSF Standard 53 for cyst removal, or
- Tested and certified by NSF Standard 53 for cyst reduction