Skip to Secondary Navigation Skip to Main Content

Current Beehive


in this section

What Should You Do If You Think Your Child Has a Learning Disability

If you wonder if your child has a learning disability, you should first talk to his or her teacher to find out whether they are seeing a problem in the classroom. They will be able to advise you on the next step. Unless the symptoms are very clear cut, and this is seldom the case, you will probably be referred to an educational psychologist for an assessment. Most often, children with ADHD, dyslexia, problems with gross or fine motor skills or similar problems are then referred to an occupational therapist for regular sessions. It may turn out that your child's problem is related to vision or hearing problems, in which case they will probably be referred to an optometrist or audiologist.

All of these treatments do cost money, though some may be paid for by your medical scheme. Seek advice from your child's school and from the school psychologist if there is one, before rushing into a treatment program that might not be right for your child.

No votes yet
Your rating: None
© Copyright 2001 - 2017 One Global Economy Corporation