While getting published and giving talks provide great exposure, you can get even more mileage from your efforts by using these tips.
- When you get something published, call the publication and request reprints. Send the reprints to your prospects and customers as a "thought you'd be interested…" piece.
- Frame any published articles or stories and display them in your store or office.
- Send invitations to the press when you're giving a talk.
- Advertise your talk or event in the free events section of local papers. More people might show up if they see your listing.
- Get pictures of yourself giving a talk and post them on your Web site with captions. Publish those pictures in your newsletter and hang them up in your place of business.
Becoming comfortable with the idea of writing and speaking takes time. Any effort you make in this area will pay off for your business -- and offer professional development and growth for you.